Welcome to the website of the Music Department of St Richard Reynolds Catholic College. We are proud that our college has a specialism in Music and we believe music is vital in bringing together intellect and feeling, and enabling personal expression and emotional development. Music permeates the life of the College; pupils participate in Masses, weekly singing assemblies, concerts and trips, and there is a thriving co-curricular programme.
Amazingly, we are now starting our fifth year here at St Richard Reynolds and we are thrilled with how our Music Department has thrived since its setup; we have so many amazing students to be proud of and lots of exciting musical projects and opportunities for all of our students to get involved in.
Here are some highlights of our most recent news and opportunities;
- Our Chamber Choir have just performed in Handel’s Messiah at the Royal Albert Hall
- We welcome Mr Booth (professional pianist and our in-house piano teacher) as our new Musician in Residence
- Our pupils have represented our Music Department at Christmas events at Hampton Court Palace and John Lewis in Kingston
- The concert programme has been busy all term; with, in addition to the above, our Christmas Concert at St Margaret’s Church, our Y7 welcome concert, Gig night in November and recitals throughout the terms for instrumentalists and singers
- We welcome our 3 new Piano Scholars to their role!
- A new function band has been formed involving a range of instrumentalists and focuses on jazz and blues
- Our Composition Competition has launched with results being announced in early January!
- We have recently performed Fauré’s Requiem at St Mary’s University Chapel, which included Chamber Choir, Parent Choir, SRRCC Primary pupils, accompaniment from professional musicians and pupils from other local primary schools
- We now run Theory Classes to ensure that pupils can develop their Music Theory skills throughout their growth as musicians; Miss Moss, our new Music Specialism Support Assistant, is teaching Grades 1-4 Theory on Mondays at 8.15 and advanced theory class ‘Grade 5 Theory Bootcamp!’ (focussing on Grade 5 and then beyond!) on Tuesday mornings from 8.15
- Miss Moss has been leading exam coaching sessions to help our pupils who are taking their ABRSM exams this summer
- We have had amazing performances here from professional musicians, in lunchtime concerts for our pupils to attend