We are very proud that SRRCC has a specialism in Music and that our Music department has a genuine standing in the college. In addition to the curriculum, we recognise the value of a wholistic approach to music teaching and offer the following to support your child’s musical development at A-Level:
– We have appointed a Musician in Residence, Mr Jon Booth (professional pianist and in-house piano teacher) who arranges – and regularly performs at – our Thursday lunchtime professional concert series. Mr Booth also offers additional workshops, coaching, supports our ensembles and runs an advanced musicianship club for pupils (https://www.jonbooth.co.uk/).
– Our music department has additional support from our assistant Miss Moss, who helps in co-ordinating our extra-curricular activities, instrumental lessons, trips and additional activities. Miss Moss is also an opera singer and choral conductor and brings her expertise into school life by offering additional coaching, leading our Schola Cantorum, assisting in Chamber Choir and Orchestra, performing in the school and providing general support and mentorship for students (www.olivia-moss.com)
– Piano Scholars Programme; extra performance and development opportunities for our most advanced pianists (auditions annually)
– our Schola Cantorum offers high-level choral training for our most advanced singers; this choir greatly develops the musicianship, sight-reading skills and the understanding of ensemble work for all of the singers involved (auditions offered on application)
– We regularly hold recitals, themed around different instruments for our pupils to take part in
– Residential trips are offered for our ensemble members, to encourage team-building and for our pupils to experience an intensive rehearsal environment. We also offer a range of day trips throughout the year.
– Your child would have access to our Mac Suite, where they can compose pieces using Sibelius, Logic and Garageband
– We are a department that values singing and instrumental playing equally and have a range of ensembles for pupils to get involved with, supporting all kinds of music. See our timetable here.
– We have well-established links with the primary school and can offer our A-Level students the opportunity to assist in primary music lessons, lead projects and mentor young students
– We regularly invite professional musicians to join our activities at SRRCC so that our students can learn from their expertise and be inspired by their work. We have had professionals perform lunch time concerts for the pupils, accompany concerts and conduct workshops in school. Previous visiting musicians have included Voces8 and The Berkeley Ensemble.
– we plan to follow the AQA A level exam board