Please visit the other tabs on this website to find out information about instrumental lessons at the College and the Co-curricular opportunities we offer. Or scroll down for some information on our current topic and what the previous year group achieved.
Spooky music extra listening. Get some ideas from these clips:
1. Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta by Bartok, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9LWHEf0VFo, 3.00-4.00
2. Volumina by Ligeti, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esDkIW6oEBg, 2.30-3.00
3. Dream Of A Witches Sabbath by Berlioz, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7qfRNzS3s 0.00-1.00
4. Halloween by John Carpenter, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP-jYiuDD9g, 0.00-1.00
5. Toccata in D by Bach, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY, 0.00-0.30
6. Dance Macabre by Saint-Saens, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM, 0.10-0.30
7. 5th Symphony, 3rd mvt – Shostakovich, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FF4HyB77hQ, 30.00-31.00
Homework: every week Yr 7 pupils will be set theory homework (they may on occasion have instead some work that relates to the topic being studied.) The sticker on the top-right of their music folder determines whether to go into the blue, yellow or red tray for homework. Pupils should complete this homework in pencil and complete it even if they were not in the lesson.
Helpful theory resources:
In the Spring Term, Year 7 started off by learning about how to create spooks and suspense! From dissonance and cluster chords to chromatic scales and diminished 7th chords, pupils learned a host of techniques to use when building up tension. Along the way they learned about tones and semi-tones, and developed their aural ability.
Here’s Niamh’s spooky composition:
Here’s Josh’s spooky composition:
In the second half of the Autumn Term, Year 7 learned about orchestral instruments and developed their keyboard skills. We looked at different instruments that can be found in the orchestra, and made sure we understood the difference between a symphony and a concerto. (Some classes even acted these out!) Pupils developed their piano skills by learning to play the theme from the 2nd movement of Dvorak’s ‘New World’ symphony.
Here are two clips we listened to:
Here’s a piano performance of ‘Largo’ from the New World Symphony by Dylan in 7P: